Before completing and submitting a grant application to AICR you should consider the following points:
- AICR awards project grants of between one and three years to support fundamental and translational research into the causes, mechanisms, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer. We will consider proposals in which a mixture of basic and clinical research is proposed. However, completely clinical applications, such as intervention studies, clinical trials or health care delivery research and many substantially clinical applications are beyond the remit of AICR. Before submitting applications of a clinical or semi-clinical nature, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact our Heaf of Science (email@example.com) for advice. We do not consider proposals for patient care, healthcare delivery or nursing research.
- The Principal Investigator must be a suitably qualified researcher (minimum of PhD followed by three years research experience, or equivalent qualification or research experience).
- We award grants from 12 to 36 months in length.
- We have two application rounds per year – in April and October. If a grant is awarded it will normally start 9 months after the application was submitted.
- Only one application from the same principal investigator, laboratory or research group will be accepted in any twelve month period (i.e. 12 months must have passed since the last application) unless the Scientific Advisory Committee invites someone to submit an amended application in the next round.
- AICR does not have a formal upper limit for the budget, but it should be noted that most of the three-year grants we award have a total budget between £100,000 and £200,000. If you want to apply for significantly more than this, you are strongly advised to contact our Head of Science (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the first instance.
- The research described in the application should be a discrete, hypothesis-driven project, achievable within the duration of the support requested. Do not describe the work of your entire laboratory and ask for funding for one member of a team or part of the consumable costs.
- Check that your institution will accept our terms and conditions before submitting an application to AICR. These are not variable or negotiable.