Despite its seriousness, prostate cancer has been largely ignored compared to other major cancers: there has been too little research, and the general public needs to know more about its symptoms.
That is why AICR has launched the Spotlight Prostate Cancer Appeal, with two important aims:
- We want to make sure that every man and woman around the world is made aware of prostate cancer and the warning signs they should be looking for - an early diagnosis can make the difference between life and death.
- We are raising funds to catch up on the years that prostate cancer has been neglected.
Since the Spotlight Appeal began it has raised over £7,700,000.
We know there is every chance of making significant progress that could soon offer real hope to those who may already have contracted the disease, and help countless others avoid the pain and anguish prostate cancer might otherwise bring.
BE ALERT TO THESE SYMPTOMS:
- Difficulty passing urine
- Passing urine often, especially at night
- Inability to urinate
- Weak or interrupted urine flow
- Pain when urinating
- Blood in urine
- Frequent pains in the lower back, hips and upper thighs
These symptoms can also be caused by less serious conditions, such as a non-cancerous enlarged prostate or kidney infections.
If you experience any of these symptoms or have any concerns, contact your GP immediately.
Our work in this area is of vital importance - if you would like to help us fund more prostate cancer research projects, please consider donating here.